Never mind a thousand words, digital marketing expert James McQuivey estimates that a single minute of video content is the equivalent of 1.8 million words. These statistics and predictions should convince you that video must be an essential element of your content strategy.
- Video is projected to claim more than 80% of all web traffic by 2019.
- Adding a video to marketing emails can boost click-through rates by 200-300%.
- Embedding videos in landing pages can increase conversion rates by 80%.
- 90% of customers report that product videos help them make purchasing decisions.
- 64% of customers are more likely to buy a product online after watching a video about it.
- 59% of company decision makers would rather watch a video than read an article or blog post.
The good news is that making a video is much easier now than in the past, so it’s much less expensive to create an excellent video that gives the viewer mos insight into the story.
My role is to conceptualize, script and direct the videos. I work with several teams of award-winning videographers who can capture any ideas.
SMART VIDEO PLANNING
It doesn’t always require a high-quality, slick video to capture the attention of the media and the public. I took this video of the fire and water fountain at the opening of City Creek Center. It was shot on a mobile device, edited quick-and-dirty and uploaded immediately to YouTube.
The content strategy part was in the distribution plan: Fifty influencers were lined up to like and retweet the video as soon as it was uploaded. That spread the video far and wide and caught the attention of the media. It was also covered in large blogs like Huffington Post, Gizmodo and Engadget, which drove the views up. After three days I posted it to Pinterest and that doubled the views.
It got over 150.000 views in the week of the opening of the mall. It still gets traffic – it has now had 166,555 views.