A picture truly is worth a thousand words. Online, images capture the attention of the viewer and raise engagement levels:
- When people hear information, they’re likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later. (Source)
- On social media, visual content performs 4.4 times better than text-based content. (Source)
- Tweets with images receive 18% more clicks, 89% more favorites, and 150% more retweets. (Source)
- Photos are the most engaging type of content on Facebook, with an 87% interaction rate from fans (Source)
- Press releases with images get 18% more engagement. (HubSpot)
- 95% of journalists regard images with a press release as very important (TEKGroup online newsroom report 2017)
Note the use of the word relevant.
Just slapping a stock image on a blog post or press release doesn’t get results. The image needs to be original, relevant and extend and enhance the reader’s experience of the story. All my designs are based on research and relevancy.