Creating good content is one thing, getting it seen is another. It’s that ‘tree in the forest’ question: If you create the perfect piece of content and nobody sees it, does it matter? Create content with influencers in mind can bring you attention, traffic and high quality editorial links.
Distribution and amplification of your content is a vital part of your content strategy. One of the places you need visibility is in the search engines – Google in particular. So every piece of content – written or visual – you create must be optimized for search. If you’re creating content without a knowledge of SEO frankly you’re just throwing that content out there with your fingers crossed, hoping it will get seen.
Google’s purpose is to deliver the best possible content to people who type in a search query. The bad news is that their algorithm is being updated and tweaked all the time. The good news is there are some fundamental elements to search viability and Google has been kind enough to make them public.
- Write good quality content
- Use keywords so that Google’s spider bots can easily identify what the content is about
- Links that point to your content from other relevant websites, authorities and influencers
According to Google links, content and their RankBrain update are the three most important ranking factors.
You can control the quality of the content you publish. There are many resources to help you learn how to write your news and content so that it meets Google’s quality guidelines. SMART News is one of them.
Getting the links that Google values (earned editorial links) may seem beyond your control. but you can leverage that content to attract the kind of links Google values. Rand Fishkin of Moz explains how to create content that will garner the attention of influencers in this episode of Whiteboard Friday.
These are the two main points he makes:
- Use statistics and data in your content – preferably original research or your insights on other research.
- Create original visual content that journalists, influencers, speakers and analysts can use in their articles, posts and presentations.
Watch the video for the full explanation of how and why it works.